About

Half Moon Bay Yacht Club: A Brief History

The Half Moon Bay Yacht Club was established in 1978 by a small group of Coastsiders with a shared interest in sailing. The group used the harbormaster’s storage room as its first facility.

From there, it grew into a true yacht club that organized racing, trained new members, facilitated access to sailing for those without boats, explored kayaking, hosted visiting racers and cruisers, and enjoyed a rich social calendar.

Later, the club was able to purchase its first clubhouse from a local family, the Binsfields. HMBYC has beach access to support its various sailing programs or just beachcombing in a quiet corner of the harbor. The Club’s facility has recently been expanded with construction of a new 1600 sq ft annexe. Although our club has grown and changed with our community, it retains its original, essential character as a friendly, fun place with people who enjoy each other’s company.